While most of the time my experience as a developer has been in the .NET stack, I've had the opportunity on a previous project to step into Java for 7 months. This gave me the opportunity of working with IDE's such as Eclipse and IntelliJ that have strong support for refactoring.
I've since returned back to the .NET side and have been found wanting.
Resharper is a crucial piece to the productivity of any .NET developer working in Visual Studio, but there's just some things missing. I won't even go into the really big ones.
One simple, small one in particular has been driving me absolutely bonkers lately:
No support for Inline Method
What makes me truly sad is that i see no indication that the next version (Resharper 4.0) looks to include this.
Can anyone answer why?
Is it significantly harder to implement in Resharper than in IntelliJ?
But I can't really blame JetBrains. That'd be likely biting the hand that feeds me. Deep down I actually blame a colleague of mine for being too good at what he does. He never should have shown so many different ways of safely refactoring code using that refactoring knowing that I'd miss it so. He knows who he is. No scotch for you.*
*note the sarcasm before the flame storm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Tim,
Couldn't agree more! Inline method seems like an obvious omission and is something that I've been waiting for JetBrains to add. Know anything about creating ReSharper plugins? Fancy writing one? :)
Its not an bad idea. I'll look to see how hard it might be.
No promises though as i'm not sure how much time i can truly commit to it.
Post a Comment